Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Avgolemono?

Last night was Weight Watcher recipe night. I decided to use my Weight Watcher etools to find a recipe that called for ingredient I already had in my kitchen. I was able to save time and money by skipping a trip to the grocery store. Love this little tool.


Basically, I go into my points window and click on "find and explore" and then click the recipe tab. The main ingredients I decided to search with were chicken breast and frozen spinach. I also had instant brown rice. The result, drum roll please.................


Greek Chicken, Spinach, and Rice Soup


Bonus points because the soup only takes 19 minutes to make. 


Little history about this soup; This soup gets it's inspiration from the Avgolemono, a Greek lemony chicken soup that was usually made with rice. 


OK, so now that I've introduced you to my find, I have to be honest, this soup will not be added to my favorites recipe box. Ask anyone in my family and they will tell you that I love recipes that use lemon for a zesty taste. But this recipe tasted like I just poured a cup of lemon juice into the pot. Actually, that's pretty much what the recipe told me to do. It simply had too much lemon, it was basically green lemon soup. 


While we are on the subject of the "green," yes I looooove spinach! It was, after all, one of the requirements of this recipe. But if you are looking for a kid friendly recipe, cooker beware. There is absolutely no way to hide the fuzzy, green, good for you stuff!


In summary, this soup is a very sour, spinachy version off egg drop soup. Yes, egg is one of the ingredients, and be careful, because it's very easy to accidentally let the egg harden when mixing it with the hot broth. 


If this soup still appeals to you after reading this review, and don't get me wrong I still ate a whole bowl, the recipe is listed below.


"What did the Refrigerator Queen cook today?" you might be asking. Today I received a call from a college friend that was visiting town for the evening, so I decided to use my one restaurant day. Yes I packed up half of my meal before I ate it! I had brisket tacos and they were fabulous, but my friend and I couldn't help wondering how we could make them better if we were to cook them ourselves. Hmmm............ I smell a future assignment! 


The Recipe:
Servings: 4
Weight Watchers Points plus value: 5 per serving


Ingredients:  
4 Cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 pound(s) uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of all visible fat
2 large egg(s)
1/4 Cup(s) fresh lemon juice
10 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 Cup(s) cooked brown rice, hot
1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste

Instructions:
Combine the broth and chicken in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 6 minutes.
Remove the chicken and, when cool enough to handle, shred into bite-size pieces.
Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and lemon juice until frothy in a medium bowl.
Gradually whisk in 1 cup of the hot broth.
Add the spinach to the broth remaining in the saucepan; bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and stir in the rice.
Slowly add the egg-broth mixture, whisking constantly to avoid curdling.
Continue whisking until thickened, about 3 minutes—do not allow the soup to boil.
Stir in the chicken and cook until heated through.
Season with the pepper and serve at once.


TOMORROW: It's Reader's Choice day. What would you like me to cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Refrigerator Queen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino